Perhaps you are reading this because you’ve been placed at MMI and the insurance company adjuster has contacted you to settle your case.
My best advice- Ignore the insurance adjuster, do not rush. Do not be pushed. Time is on your side- the adjuster wants to rush you out with a cheap settlement. Do not go near this trap!
Here are some hard and fast rules about settlement.
- Just don’t do it without at least talking to a workers compensation attorney. Most will give you a few minutes of free advice.
- MMI- maximum medical improvement means NOTHING. Ignore it.
- The most important piece of information for settlement is whether you can return to your old job, or to some other job.
- Whether you go back to your old job depends on your RESTRICTIONS.
- The best way, the most lucrative way is by participating in MEDIATION.
THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR CASE CENTERS AROUND ONE ISSUE:
What kind of wage-earning work can you do given the injury you’ve sustained?
THIS ONE ISSUE DETERMINES THE VALUE OF YOUR CASE.
Determining the value of your case depends on many things-
-your level of restrictions
-other jobs you’ve had
-location- the more remote
-driving- can you still drive?
Deciding the appropriate dollar amount of a settlement is not easy, even for the lawyers. You cannot wisely decide this alone.